The History of Vaporizers
Vaporizers were introduced in 1963 by Herbert A. Gilbert, an American, who patented his first smokeless non-tobacco cigarette. His first electronic cigarette was like the current vaporizers sold on the market, which are nicotine free. Instead of producing tobacco smoke, they produce a flavored vapor. Over the years since the 60s, the design of vapes has been changing according to the development of new technologies. Now, vape pens are increasingly becoming popular among the cannabis markets due to the portable design and ability to recharge the battery for continuous reuse. Portable vaporizers differ from each other in terms of physical design, the product consumed, battery size, and vapor production among others. However, when it comes to portable vapes, there are two that mostly come into question, the dry herb vaporizer and wax vape pen. Here are notable similarities differences between the two models that can help you understand and choose the best gadget to vape, either for medicinal or recreational purposes.
What are the Key Differences between Weed Vaporizers and Wax Vape Pens?
- Product consumed – Just as the name suggests, wax vapes are used to vape shatter, crumble, or wax. One advantage of many wax pens is that in many cases they come with a dry herb atomizer or an oil tank, potentially making the vaporizer a 3-in1 vape pen. However, this was not the intention during their initial design. Weed Vaporizers, on the other hand, are only used to vape dry flower or dry herb. There are some dry herb vaporizers that come with an oil tank, but they aren’t as effective as an oil cartridge vape pen.
- Wax Coils Vs Herb Chambers – Wax vape pens will require a change of coil or chamber after some time of usage. This is necessary for either a fresh vaping start or because a coil burns out. On the contrary, the average dry herb vaporizer chamber will last the life of the vape. Also, it does not get gunky like wax.
- Battery mAh – In simple terms, the mAh is a measurement of how much energy the battery can store. This electric energy is stored in batteries installed in the vapes. Vaping dry herbs and heating its chamber uses far more power than heating a wax coil. This means that the batteries in dry herb vapes require a higher mAh on average to sustain a longer vaping experience. Mostly the mAh for dry herb vaporizers range from 1100-2300mAh while wax vapes are usually between 350-1100mAh. In addition, both vapes require an average of 30-40 minutes of continuous usage before you can recharge them.
- Chamber Loading Process – When using dry herb vapes, you have to grind the herbs before placing or funneling them into the heating chamber. Working with a weed vaporizer is not as messy as using a wax vape pen. However, wax doesn’t get messy if you are careful. To load wax, you need to have a dab tool to load it in. Also, during loading, you need to be gentle, don’t over pack beyond the chamber capacity as you will be at risk of a spillage mess.
- Vaping Temperature – Depending on the type of substance and portable vaporizer you are using, different temperatures give a different vaping experience. For temperatures up to 356oF(180oC), you get light medication and best flavors, but you still can focus well on the day’s activities. For temperatures between 356oF(180oC) and 392oF(200oC), you experience a higher medication level and great flavor. However, the body will feel more effect. If you have a lazy day and want to get high, temperatures above 392oF(200oC) will ensure that you get a very strong level of medication. Most dry herb vaporizers can go as high as 428o
- Temperature control – Dry herb vapes come with temperature control to regulate the amount of heat acting on the marijuana. Many portable weed vaporizers have LED indicators to show up to three temperature settings. The temperature control allows for customizable vaping experience depending on the type of dry herbs you are using. At first, wax vapes did not have variable controls but is becoming more important to consumers now. Many wax pen vapes will come with 3 variable voltage settings: 3.4, 3.7, and 4.0. That allows the vape pen to adjust the power control.
- Maintenance – Vaping devices require maintenance over their lifetime. However, wax and dry herb vapes have different levels of maintenance. This is what makes some people prefer one type of vaporizer over the other. Wax is far stickier and messier than dry herbs, so you find people preferring dry herb vapes to the wax types. Also, wax vape chambers get replaced but can be maintained by scraping away wax, while herb vapes, you just have to make sure that the chamber is empty after each use. However, herb vapes usually require cleaning or replacing the filter screen or mouthpiece which is also a wax vape requirement. Usually, wax vapes have issues with the mouthpiece and chamber issues that require repair or replacement regularly.
How are Weed Vaporizers and Wax Pen Vapes Similar?
- Portability – Both the average dry herb vape or wax pen is small and portable. They offer a great experience when you are traveling, or on an activity that requires you to move around. They are light-weight and can fit well in your pocket.
- Discreet – Due to the portability of both dry herb and wax vapes, you are always discreet when using them. We all know that smoking is only allowed in specific smoking zones to avoid exposing the population to second-hand However, this is not the case with portable vaporizers as they do not produce smoke, so they can be used anywhere. Also, some users may feel embarrassed about smoking in certain places even though the urge to get high may be unbearable. Both a weed vaporizer and wax pen can be taken out of a pocket and allow you to take vape hits in under a minute.
- Easy to use – The average vape is not rocket science. Any human being can learn how to use and maintain them, whether it’s for wax or dry herbs. Of course, as you get into the fine tuning of temperatures and various functions, there can be some complexity, but more or less, once you get a vape and give yourself some time with it, along with the information out there, you will become a pro in no time. However, if you still have any questions, there are a ton of sources that can help.
What are some tips for using a Portable Weed Vaporizer and Wax Pen?
Portable vaporizers are currently changing the way people use them both for recreational and medicinal purposes. Different models of portable vaporizers have different modes of usage and maintenance to ensure an enjoyable vaping experience. Similarly, this applies to both dry herb vapes and wax vapes. Here are some good tips for you to know how to deal with both dry herb vapes and wax pens.
Weed Vaporizer Tips
- Use a grinder to ensure that heat penetrates your weed to produce thick and tasty vapor.
- Use the vape accessories, especially rubber extension mouthpiece sleeves. Vape temperatures can go up to over 400 degrees. If you use it long enough, the mouthpiece can get very hot.
- Clean or change the filter screen for your vaporizer to ensure maximum airflow.
- Always start at the lowest heat setting and work your way up to find the best temperature for your herb.
- Always use well-cured herbs that are fresh and have high-quality
- Don’t over-pack the chamber as it may affect the vapor flow from the chamber to the mouthpiece.
- Always preheat the vape before you load it.
- When vaping, always take gentle puffs from your vape to prevent sucking weed from the chamber into your mouth.
- Avoid combustion as it breaks down your weed into new compounds that are highly toxic.
- Maintain your vaporizer and accessories to keep them functional at their best.
Wax Vape Pen Tips
- Always keep your wax pen upright, especially right after use. The wax flows especially when hot and will leak into the mouthpiece.
- Don’t over-pack or put pressure on the coils to avoid risking damage to the vaporizer.
- Use clean mouthpieces and any filter screens to prevent difficulties when taking a pull or smoking the vapor.
- Always test a coil before loading fresh wax. Wax atomizers and Coils burn out and can become damaged so test or you’ll end up losing your wax.
- Always deep clean your atomizer to avoid the coil from blackening to a crisp. Dip a q-tip in isopropyl alcohol and rub the coil after each vaping session.
- If you do not have a dabbing tool, you can always get creative with everyday items like paperclips. They work well when dipped in rubbing alcohol before use.
- Blow into the mouthpiece to unclog the air hole in case the atomizer is overloaded.
- Always clean the wax pen to keep the connection between the atomizer and battery clear.
- Burn off the leftover wax to prevent it from hardening on the air path or coil. This is also an effective way of cleaning the coil.
- If possible, always use coil-less atomizers as they are easy to clean.