Every stoner has been in a pinch at some point and had some herb or wax with nothing to smoke out of. There is nothing nearly as disheartening as getting so close and not being able to burn. Smoking concentrates present their own specific challenges, it’s not as easy as getting a pack of papers.
Many people, especially in illegal states, may have trouble getting concentrates and buying a rig is not practical. If you find yourself with a bit of dabs but no right, don’t fret, there are still ways to smoke!
This is a list of 4 ways to smoke your concentrates without a rig. While the majority of them are not the most efficient way to dab, they will certainly get you by. If you know of any we didn’t discuss, please share in the comments and let us know!
On Top of Bowl
The easiest way to smoke dabs without a rig is to put it on top of some weed. You light the weed up normally, although trying to regulate the head around the concentrate. You will also want to be cognizant of how loose the weed is, the concentrate is likely going to melt quite a bit and run through. You can angle the pipe around and control that a bit to make it easier for multiple hits.
Pro Tip: if you have a sticky or melted (unstable) bit of oil, you can put it in the freezer for 10-15 minute and stabilize it. This will make it easier to handle and put right on top of your bowl.
- Simple. No specialized training needed smoke weed as normal.
- Inefficient. Smoking wax from a rig allows you to very precisely regulate how much concentrate you are using. The inability to do that with a lighter and a bowl can waste your oil, but it’s better than not being able to smoke it.
- You have to also have some flower to smoke the wax. If you are only in possession of some oil, this is going to be useless for you.
- Taste. The delicious taste of your oil is not going to come through nearly as much as a dab or even a vape pen would. That being said, the mixed taste of a quality nug and some good oil can be something very nice as well.
On a Doobie
Secondly, the next most simple way of smoking dabs without a rig is to put it in or around your doob. This is a pretty popular way to smoke wax if you look at 710 Instagram world. If you are a big joint or blunt smoker, this is going to be right in your wheelhouse. This can be more practical than a bowl if you’re aren’t around a pipe as well. You can pick up a pack of papers at a corner store and make this happen. Although, on the run, it may be harder because your concentrate may not be as stable.
Pro Tip: If you have some kief in your grinder, you can roll the joint in this as well. Not only is this going to make a dope Insta post, it’s also going to get you proper lit.
There are essentially two ways to get the wax into your joint. With either method, it’s good to start with a nice stable bit of concentrates so you can roll it up and manipulate it a bit. The two ways to smoke wax on a joint are:
- Roll the wax out into a thin, snake-like, shape the length of your joint. You put this snake into the center of your joint as you roll it up. A more even the snake is and more herb in the joint will result in a better burning joint as well. Having a nice tight joint can help as well, although you don’t want to completely restrict airflow.
- Again, roll the wax into a thin, snake-like, shape of any length (think about how much wax you are looking to smoke). You then put it around your joint, as pictured below. Be careful as you’re smoking, these will drip depending on the consistency of your dabs. You can rotate it and angle it to make sure you don’t drip any off, you can handle it; I believe in you.
- Simple. Same as a bowl, this doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out. Any pothead who can roll a decent joint can make this happen.
- No need for specialized tools. You don’t even need a bowl, just a pack of papers and some ganja.
- Inefficiency, again. Just like burning your budder on a bowl, this is not going to be the picture of efficiency. You will most certainly waste a bit of concentrate, but it can be fun at a party or in a pinch.
- Drippy. As I said in the instruction, you have to work it a little bit more than when the oil is inside the joint. It’s not crazy hard, but you have the opportunity to drip it. In the aforementioned party scenario, you could have trouble if there is a rookie in the cypher.
- Runs. Because the oil is spread around, the paper where it is will burn differently than the paper not covered in oil. You can get little runs this way, the tight your snake is, the less this may happen.
It seems like a no-brainer, I guess. If you had a vape pen then maybe you wouldn’t be reading this? Either way, you can definitely get high by vaping cannabis from a pen if you are trying to smoke wax without a rig. The nice thing is you may be able to find a vape if you are out of town or something, even in an illegal state. They are going to be more expensive than finding a pack of papers or something, but you can get that wax smoked. Personally, I love my vape and the ability to smoke basically anywhere pretty inconspicuously.
Traveler’s Pro Tip: If you own a vape pen and are traveling, bring an empty cartridge and the battery with you. This way if you find some oil, you can just load up the pen and be good to go.
If you are looking for a long-term solution, you may want to try a bunch of your buddies’ pens and read a lot of reviews online. All pens work a little different and even can be different depending on the type of concentrates you have. Finding the one that feels right is key to loving your pen.
- Cheaper than a rig in most cases.
- Inconspicuous. You feel way more free smoking out of a pen, even in illegal states.
- Efficiency. Much more efficient than any of our previous method, although not quite as efficient as a rig.
- You have to already have a pen. You won’t be able to MacGyver this solution.
- Taste. Some vapes can taste like shit, but it depends on the coil-type. This is a good reason to read reviews about pens.
- Size of rip. Some vape pens are going to give you a big cloudy hit, but they are not always the norm. My vape pen I use with skillet coil is pretty close to a dab, but still not quite as legit.
Knife hits are on some real desperation shit. Personally, I’m old enough where I’ve never hit a ton of knife hits. When I was coming up, wax wasn’t around and we would get hash very rarely. By the time I was a regular wax smoker, I had enough to grab a rig and pen immediately. Warning on knife hits, you may feel like sort of a weed crackhead. But, if you have to get this erl smoked, it’s worth it. They are relatively easy to do and work pretty well. You just need 2 knives, a heat source like a stove or torch, and an empty plastic bottle with the bottom cut off helps.
The way you use knives to smoke dabs without a rig is getting the knives super hot with the heat source, plop some concentrates on there, then press the knives together. This will vaporize that oil right up and you use the plastic bottle (with the bottom cut off) to corral the vapor into your mouth. If you have a buddy with you, the process is significantly easier so convince your buddy to get dumb with you.
- MacGyver ability. You can make this happen in basically any kitchen on the planet.
- Efficiency. This is actually the closest thing to a dab that we’ve talked about here. If you are doing this right, it’s basically a dab.
- Crackheadery. This makes you look like a real weed crackhead. If you are at a party or something, don’t start doing this or people will think you have problems.
- Difficulty. If you are alone and it’s your first time, watch a lot of YouTube videos and shit because you’re going to need to get the hang of it.
You can eat your wax! This is technically not smoking wax without a rig, but it’ll definitely get your stoned. You Just gotta do a bit of science first. First, you’ve got to decarboxylate your concentrates. The science-y reason for this is turning the THCa in the wax into THC that your body will be able to digest. This process is definitely worth learning, as it is also applied to making quality edibles (we will definitely be writing articles on this).
If you want to learn more about decarboxylation, you can watch this video here. The key to the process is taking your time and don’t raise the heat trying to speed it up.
- MacGyver Ability. You can make this happen in any kitchen on the planet, as well.
- Don’t have to vape or smoke, if you have any sensitivity to that.
- Can get you too stoned if you aren’t being careful (always watch out with edibles)
- Nothing like a dab at all. Edibles are completely different than smoking a dab.
- The taste of eating raw wax isn’t very good.
Pro Tip: Put the decarboxylated wax into pill capsules. Or to start, you can just make some concentrate based edibles (we will definitely be writing recipe articles for those!).
How Not to Smoke Dabs Without a Rig
I’ be remiss if I didn’t cover the ways you should absolutely not smoke wax. There are a bunch of threads online in forums and comments under articles like this, talking about some bad ways to smoke. Don’t listen to that shit, you can make one of the above happen.
While this may technically work and if you’re in the weirdest pinch ever and don’t give a shit about your car then maybe go for it. But, this is a surefire way to end up with a sticky fucked up car lighter. It will vaporize some of it and you will want to use a bottle, like the knife hits to suck it up. But, it’s going to get drippy and sticky, making your lighter slot gross. Or you can throw it away and get a new lighter. But, that would mean it’s a single use.
Another method that will, in fact, vaporize your concentrates and be able to get you high. It can be a little bit tricky and has an even methier vibe than knife hits. It’s basically the same principle as some crackier shit, so feel free to research that if you gotta.
Do not ever drop your concentrates on to your stove coil and use that. Just don’t, that is dumb af. Not going to entertain this otherwise. You will make a total mess and ruin your shit.
Do you have any experience smoking dabs without a rig? Let us know in the comments!